Wednesday 20 March 2013

Games Development Project 4

Creating a tower in Maya-


So our new project involved us creating a wizard tower in Maya. In our project brief we had discussed about different buildings and architecture. I have a thing for steampunk and a lot of that is from Bioshock, I like how each building tells an interesting story. I had an idea for a tower straight away and as we were sent away we had to do some research on buildings, creating a mood board.  I looked at old buildings and how they was structured, paying close attention to the materials used so when it came to creating my tower I could mimic that with tiny details such as rivets or screws.
Once I found multiple ideas, I created a mood board in Photoshop so I could print it out and look back for reference.






Once I had my reference I began to create different drawings of ideas for my tower design. Going with the steampunk feel I wanted to more or less create objects or houses that were on top of each other. I found out that steampunk generally mount or connect loads of buildings together with either pipes for support or just generally stack them on top.   





As you can see this was pretty much the first design I did, I have a habit of not experimenting and just sticking with one idea. I drew a base where the main entrance would be, with cogs and different structures coming from it for support. I also drew the main part which was above it; this consisted of a number of houses that was stacked together to create one huge house. Amongst these houses there was a tower attached to the houses. This would be the main tower where the person who lived there would reside most of the time. I wanted this to stand out amongst all the other stuff since it was the most important part. There was also a section underneath the main part that was just a simple clock tower; I wanted to add this in because it was the easiest way to give it that steampunk feel.


Overall this week was going good since I had a positive view of where I wanted to go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment