Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Games Development Project 4

Creating a tower in Maya-


So our new project involved us creating a wizard tower in Maya. In our project brief we had discussed about different buildings and architecture. I have a thing for steampunk and a lot of that is from Bioshock, I like how each building tells an interesting story. I had an idea for a tower straight away and as we were sent away we had to do some research on buildings, creating a mood board.  I looked at old buildings and how they was structured, paying close attention to the materials used so when it came to creating my tower I could mimic that with tiny details such as rivets or screws.
Once I found multiple ideas, I created a mood board in Photoshop so I could print it out and look back for reference.






Once I had my reference I began to create different drawings of ideas for my tower design. Going with the steampunk feel I wanted to more or less create objects or houses that were on top of each other. I found out that steampunk generally mount or connect loads of buildings together with either pipes for support or just generally stack them on top.   


. 


As you can see this was pretty much the first design I did, I have a habit of not experimenting and just sticking with one idea. I drew a base where the main entrance would be, with cogs and different structures coming from it for support. I also drew the main part which was above it; this consisted of a number of houses that was stacked together to create one huge house. Amongst these houses there was a tower attached to the houses. This would be the main tower where the person who lived there would reside most of the time. I wanted this to stand out amongst all the other stuff since it was the most important part. There was also a section underneath the main part that was just a simple clock tower; I wanted to add this in because it was the easiest way to give it that steampunk feel.


Overall this week was going good since I had a positive view of where I wanted to go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment