Wednesday 20 March 2013

Experimenting in Maya


So after the weeks creating and coming up with the idea, we began to model our designs in Maya. Although using Maya from the previous year and knowing my way around it better, I still had to get used to it again. So before modelling I began to familiarise myself with all the tools again so I could maneuverer around the program much easier. Once I knew I was okay with using it, I began blocking out the structure that held the top section up. Since this was sort of a base it was easier for me to branch other structures of this building. This part was pretty simple and I was trying to get as much detail as I could. I used polygon shapes and manipulated the vertex and edges to my desired shape so I could achieve my building structure. I didn’t run into any problems when creating this and I started off with a positive feel towards my building. 





As you can see I was working along my plan and was doing good progress. Along this time I want to create a light bulb. I honestly didn’t think I would be able to create many objects that I did but I gave it a go. I looked online for more reference to light bulbs and looked at Maya tutorials. I didn’t really need to create something extreme since this was just a minor detail so the building wasn’t bare. I actually made a quick light bulb using a sphere and just manipulating the lines then using the extrude tool on certain parts. I actually achieved a decent light bulb for my first try and was happy with the results. After adding the tiny details I could see my building coming to shape. The little rivets here and there really helped bring the life to the building as it didn’t look so empty. 




Coming towards the end of this week I finished my middle building and I began to work on the clock tower building. I knew I had a lot ahead of me but I planned to at least give it a go and see how far I could get. Again I started blocking out the shapes and added details; this would be the part where I would have to create windows. So my intentions were that I would create one building and just simply copy and paste that building again so I wouldn’t have to make it all from scratch.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment