Wednesday 22 May 2013

Games Development Project 5





Project: Level Design

This was our final project for the year and we found that we had to create a Sci-Fi level in UDK that was revolved around the multiplayer aspect. As always I tend to generate ideas in my head and have plans set out. I wanted to create a two level design that was generated from my idea that I used last year.



I started off looking for initial designs and ideas to create a mood board. I looked for a while, taking in ideas from other people’s levels and how they went about it. I also kept in mind in what I wanted to create, such as lifts and moving doors. I had to make sure I could accomplish this and not set myself up for something that I could not achieve.  Giving me a starting base from my level that I did before, I was able to add an extension and create another level. I looked at stares and lifts, since I was creating a upper level, I had to do some research of how I wanted my rooms and how, since it is a two player map, I was going to accomplish that feeling.


I created a mood board so I had ideas to base my level off and always had something to look back on. I went with different designs, but they all had that same feel. I like the abandoned feeling so I kept it simple and went with the idea of a sci-fi lab.
I drew out rough ideas to give myself a sketch in my head on what I wanted it to look like. I created a floor plan and panned out how and where objects would be, such as walls and stairs. At first I done a plan that wasn't very detailed and then I went over it in more detail and defined where stuff
would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment