Wednesday 22 May 2013

Building in UDK



Getting busy!


I made sure it was big enough to be a multiplayer map but was do able in the time frame we was given. At first my idea was to have two floors, the second floor was accessible by stairs since I wanted a quick and easy way to use. I started creating the add-on from the bottom floor, a room that would be a staircase. Once I started this I realised that I just didn't like how things were going. I messed about with it a few more times but I just couldn't get it how I wanted. I then took a step back and revised my plan. I came up with a few ideas that revolved around using a lift instead. I wanted to make sure that, since it was a multiplayer game that it had a continues flow of gameplay. So having a lift I created a somewhat like shaft next to it. at the lower level it had plants so it was designed to fit in well. On the upper level It was just a place where you could drop down and maybe get the advantage point on the other players.



After knowing that I had a accessible way to the second floor, I started to block out the shape with the brush tool. This was a little time consuming but it gave me the opportunity to make precise objects. The upper level didn't really take that long to make. I done the walls first on one side so I knew the boundaries that I had to work with. I then created different rooms, with downstairs being the main lab and work stations. I wanted the upstairs to hold a different manor and feeling. I created a lower part into the floor, this would be a place where people could sit. I guess the upstairs was more of a lounge area, although it had labs also in the corners.



I ran into a few problems at this point, making sure everything aligned and was precise. I forgot that our school college doesn't use UDK 2013 and I downloaded that one on my laptop. I saved over my original file and once I got to college couldn't load it. I had to get my laptop and continue my work from there. Of course the more objects I added it created a huge sense of lag with my laptop so trying to do work on there was such a pain. After I finished the upstairs I had to finish the lights and make the lift work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment