Monday 20 January 2014

Briefing Of 2D Project




For our new project we had to come up with a 2D game, of course we wouldn’t be alone upon finding out that we would be put into groups. Considering that we were able to choose our role between becoming a designer or an artist. I sought out the obvious role that I would benefit most and like to strengthen. As my discussion was to become an artist I began automatically thinking of ideas. Once the project started we were given a brief description of how the groups would work. Designers would come up with a game idea and pitch to the artists and the artist would create a GIF to support their art style. 

Being the artist, you were able to choose from different art styles but the more popular choice was pixel art and vector art. I decided to choose a vector art style since I didn’t want to do pixel because I thought that it would be the most popular decision between the two.  We was given a week to showcase our skills and create designs for our gif design. In the process of everything we wasn’t allowed to form groups before the initial decision but me and Daron ended up forming an idea as my artwork began to form. 



My first idea was a quick rough sketch with the kind of style I was looking for.  In my head the game itself would be dark so this gave me a better idea in helping design my character. The larger head and the smaller body gave it its cute look but the style and its eyes kind of made it creepy. 



My second idea was more of something that I ended up going with. The head itself is an abnormal shape and I liked the idea of having its so called hair merge from his head. Then I decided that I wanted orb like shapes to dangle from the tip of the hair. This being said this was the design I decided to take forth into Photoshop and try to create a GIF from.
My overall idea and inspiration to follow something creepy and yet have somewhat cute features has always come from Tim Burton. His work inspires me to expand my boundaries on my ideas and to know that some art might not to be everyone’s taste. This gives me the opportunity to take risks and I decided to do that with the simple design of my GIF.

No comments:

Post a Comment