Thursday 26 September 2013

Character concept

The inital design



Upon completing my Moodboard, I had the basics ideas of what I wanted to include within my character concept. Within my spare time I took the opportunity to study videos on YouTube of other artist that draw concept. With learning different techniques I decided to use them and experiment as I know I am still learning and picking my own technique slowly. Starting off with a basic scribble model I blocked out my idea so it was down and out of my head.

The first idea I just used a basic model. This was my base for the rest of my ideas and I pretty much just scribbled it out. I knew from the start that I wanted my character to wear a jacket that was suitable for all kinds of weather. Also considering the type of shoes he wears for the same reason, I decided on using some kind of boot since these were also easier to most likely come by in that situation, they are durable and reliable. Once I finished my first design I knew it was very basic with the lack of accessories.

My second design I decided to add a bit more detail. With the thought of the character carrying a backpack so that transporting stuff would be easier. I also made the pants tighter to the leg so that the boot would be showing at the top instead of the pants covering half the boot.

My third design I was considering my back story. Thinking how the nuclear would affect people I went into more detail again. Changing the jacket slightly I added a belt across the waist so he could carry pouches and of course an essential item, a water bottle. Adding bandage on the jacket and the jeans gave it the impression that he has been alive for a while and grabbed whatever resources he could to survive, therefor patching up whenever possible. I kept the backpack in this idea as my main thought was that his role would be to scavenge items for himself or a group. With it being a nuclear disaster I included a mask on his face so that he would be from harm when going outside. This went either way with my backstory as I had the possibility to have the world dangerous and that a person could not venture out without protection. 

After having my initial designs down I decided on the last two. With having different attire this gave the character a bit more personality. The first out the two is basic, it is bandaged up and just wearing basic clothing. The second one is a bit of all the previous ones; it is carrying a backpack for scavenging and has accessories equipped so that he can venture out for a long period of time. This is the basic means of survival and I wanted to show that on my design process.

No comments:

Post a Comment